Universal Periodic Review of the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia
24 January 2019
Intervention by the delegation of Estonia
Estonia warmly welcomes the delegation of the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia to its third UPR.
Estonia notes positively the steps taken by the government in order to accelerate reforms in the country, among others in the justice system, public administration and improving the media landscape and we encourage to continue the reforms under the Plan 18.
We welcome the ratification of the Kampala Amendments to the Rome Statute as recommended among others by Estonia in the last round of UPR.
Whereas the overall climate for civil society organizations, human rights defenders and media reporting has improved, we would encourage your government to take further steps to accelerate the progress.
Estonia would like to make the following recommendations:
- Amend legislation concerning media regulation in order to ensure a transparent and independent public broadcasting service;
- Ensure respect for freedom of expression and right to privacy, including online
- Continue with reforms in order to build an independent, impartial, professional and efficient justice system;
- Accelerate progress towards ensuring the protection of human rights defenders against physical attacks, threats, verbal assaults and stigmatization;
- Take further steps to eradicate discrimination based on sexual orientation
We wish the delegation a successful review meeting.