Universal Periodic Review of Yemen
23 January 2019
Intervention by Estonia
Estonia welcomes the delegation of Yemen to its third UPR.
Estonia is seriously concerned about the ongoing conflict in Yemen and the deteriorating humanitarian crisis caused by the conflict. We regret the severe impact of hostilities on the civilian population and infrastructure and urge the government and the coalition, operating in Yemen, to comply with international humanitarian law and international human rights law.
Estonia would like to make the following recommendations:
- Enable access to the UN Group of Eminent Experts and international human rights investigators and fully cooperate with them.
- Facilitate the transportation of humanitarian assistance and essential commercial imports transported to civilians throughout Yemen.
- Ratify the Rome Statue (of the International Criminal Court) and the Optional Protocol of the Convention against Torture (OP-CAT).
- Announce a moratorium on all executions and ratify the second Optional Protocol of the ICCPR.
- Fulfil the obligations taken under the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women.
- Ensure access to education for all children and eradicate the recruitment and use of children by armed forces.
We wish you a successful review.